What is a Mash Tun/Lauter Tun Combination?
Mash tun/Lauter tun combinations combine all the functionality of a mash tun and a lauter tun, both key components in a brewhouse, into a single tank component where all brewing processes take place.
A mash tun/lauter tun combo combines all the functionality of a mash tun and lauter tun in one tank:
- Grain, previously cracked in the grain mill, is combined with metered hot water
- Complex starches are converted into fermentable simple sugars
- Wort is recirculated over a grain bed in a clarifying process called vorlauf
- Sugars are rinsed and extracted from the grain during the sparge cycle
- Wetted grain is separated from liquid wort using a false bottom filter screen before transfer to the brew kettle
Combining the mash tun and lauter tun functionality into a single tank unit increases your efficiency and reduces your brewing equipment costs
Why Select a Mixing Tanks USA Mash Tun / Lauter Tun Combination?
Mixing Tanks USA mash tun/lauter tun combinations provide the brewer with several key advantages:
- Field tested by some of America’s leading craft brewers
- Our direct fire mash tun & lauter tuns maintain precise temperatures while our steam mash tun & lauter tuns are designed and engineered to allow precise step-mashing
- Integrated Clean-In-Place (CIP) systems allow rapid and convenient cleaning
- Our proprietary mash agitator and grain out plough is designed to:
- Agitate grain and direct the flow against efficient laser-welded steam jackets for optimum heat transfer
- Efficiently and quickly evacuate spent grain from the vessel at the completion of brewing operations
- All of our insulated vessels precisely maintain temperatures
- Designed to optimize drainage without pulling vacuum or impeding flow
Mixing Tanks USA Mash Tun / Lauter Tun Combination Specifications
Mixing Tanks USA Brewhouse Direct Fire (5 to 15 bbl) Spec Sheet (Click to download)
PKW Brewhouse Steam (5 to 30 bbl) Spec Sheet (Click to download)
As with all our brewing equipment, Mixing Tanks USA mash tun/lauter tun combinations are designed and manufactured to exacting standards:
- Capacities available include:
- bbl: 2, 3.5, 5, 7, 10, 15, 20, and 30
- hL: 2.3, 4.1, 5.9, 8.2, 11.7, 17.6, 23.5, and 35.2
- Other capacities available upon request
- 100% 304 food-grade stainless steel
- State-of-the-art, high-performance, trapezoidal V-wire false bottom
- Proprietary steam-powered Valveless External Calandria (VEC) used to precisely maintain mash temperatures without heat stressing the grain bed
- Insulated with 2”/5 cm of fire-rated fiber insulation
- Labor-saving, side-mounted, grain-out manway
- Fast and efficient clean-in-place (CIP) system installed
- Integrated sparge assembly and vorlauf ports
- Conical bottom with ultimate drain allows for complete wort capture
- Top enclosure with optional flange for mounting rake and plough assembly
- 4”/10 cm port installed and ready for addition of optional grist hydrator
- Steel manway with optional glass door personalized with your brewery’s logo
Mixing Tanks USA mash tun / lauter tun combination designs draw on our experience producing over 5,000 brewery and craft beverage vessels and commissioning over 375 new breweries worldwide since 2011. Our breweries deliver award winning results across every style of beer on a global stage.
MixingTanksUSA is a business unit of Portland Kettle Works (“PKW”). Portland Kettle Works was founded in 2011 to build the highest quality stainless steel brewing and beverage equipment applications. Since then we have built and installed over 375 breweries and thousands of mixing and storage tanks worldwide. We’ve now expanded into producing the highest quality mixing and storage tanks for a variety of applications. If you need high-quality stainless steel mixing and storage tanks for conventional or custom applications, contact us and we can help you, too. And if you’re interested in the world’s best stainless steel craft beer and beverage brewing equipment, Made in the USA, click here to visit Portland Kettle Works official brewing equipment website. In addition, if you’re located in Mexico or Latin America, click here to visit Portland Kettle Works Spanish language website.