What is a Calandria?
Calandrias are key components of the craft beer making process. In the brewhouse, a calendria is a heat exchanger that boils the wort inside the kettle or heats the water in the hot water tank (HLT).
There are two common installation methods for calandria:
- Internal: a submersed calandria heats the surrounding liquid
- External: the liquid being heated is pumped through tubes with a high surface area to volume ratio
In both installations super-heated steam is the heating medium.
Why Select a PKW Calandria?
Portland Kettle Works’ calandrias provide the brewer with several key advantages:
- Field tested by some of America’s leading craft brewers
- Rapid heat exchange without scorching
- Made of 100% non-reactive, sanitary-finished, 304 food-grade stainless steel
- Integrated Clean in Place (CIP) systems enables rapid and convenient cleaning
- Manufactured using our 100% standardized and proprietary Flowing Quality Control (FQC) process which maintains the highest standards of quality throughout fabrication
- Reduced stratification in HLT
- Greater hop utilization
- Less time waiting for a boil
- Less likely to have dimethyl sulfide (DMS) in beer
- No need to disassemble ever
PKW Calandria Specifications
As with all our brewing equipment, Portland Kettle Works calandrias are designed and manufactured to exacting standards.
- Our proprietary Convect-o-Matic Internal Calandria is integrated into both our brewhouses and our hot liquor tanks (HLT). These internal calandrias continually agitate the tank contents resulting in a consistent liquor temperature throughout the vessel without the use of expensive and maintenance-intensive pumps.
- Our proprietary Valveless External Calandria (VEC) is included with our mash tuns and lauter tuns. These external calandrias precisely maintain mash temperatures without heat-stressing the grain bed.
Portland Kettle Works was founded in 2011 to build the highest quality stainless steel brewing and beverage equipment applications. Since then we have built and installed over 300 breweries worldwide. Our craft brewers are among the best of the best and they have the gold, silver and bronze medals to prove it. If you’re serious about craft brewing as a business, contact us and we can help you, too. And if you’re located in Mexico or Latin America, click here to visit our Spanish language site.